Friday, October 29, 2010

Sharing from my Quiet Time this morning

Recently I joined a Good Morning Girls group. I encourage you to check this out if you haven't before. Below is my GMG share from this morning.


~~~~~~~

I just finished my quiet time. I am thoroughly enjoying my Beth Moore book. After a long introduction, I am into the first chapter. This is titled Overcoming Idolatry. I like this point that she makes - virtually every stronghold involves the worship of some kind of idol. For example, pride/worship of self; addiction/worship of some substance or habit. Other things become the "god" of our lives, things that get our primary focus. She goes on to say that as our minds rehearse the strength of the stronghold (false idol) over God's strength, we suffer. However, when we focus on God's infinite strength, truth begins to eclipse the lies. We are reminded that in our weakness He is strong.

I am so grateful for these reminders. I need to work more on the "A" in the ACTS prayer model, and this chapter in her book is perfect for this. Here are a couple of my favorite scripture prayers so far:

"The earth is Yours, O Lord, and everything in it, the world and all who live in it. (Ps. 24:1) For You, my Lord, are a great God, the great King above all gods. In Your hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to You. The sea is Yours, for You made it, and Your hands formed the dry land. (Ps. 95:3-5)

I like this one especially because it emphasizes God as creator.

"Lord, I know that You are great - greater than all gods. You do whatever pleases You, in the heavens and on the earth, in the seas and all their depths. (Ps. 135:5) Although You are sovereign and You do what You please, You are righteous in all Your ways and loving toward all You have made. (Ps. 145:17)

This one very much appeals to me because after praising God, it mentions his love for us, of which I am in constant awe. He is the creator of all things, omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, and yet, loves each and every one of us. ALL of us! Each human who has ever, is currently, and will ever live on this earth. No matter who you are, where you live, what you believe, what you have done, it doesn't matter. HE LOVES US. He is our Father, we are His children, and despite anything and everything, He loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment