Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Guitar for beginners

We had a yard sale this past Saturday. A friend of mine offered to bring some stuff she was going to just give to Goodwill, and if we sold it, we could keep the money. Isn't that awesome? One of the items was a guitar. We had it out on a table to sell for a while, then I thought, hey, I've always wanted to play guitar. So I pulled it off the table and brought it in the house.

3 days later, I've leared 3 chords. I can play John Denver's Leaving on a Jet Plane!

...well, not exactly up to speed, but I'm so encouraged!

I've tried guitar before and given up pretty quickly. It's SO much harder than violin to me. Two too many strings, such different technique, and my fingers are killing me. But, I'm motivated this time. I think it's because I realize what a blessing it would be to be able to play guitar. The portability, the campfire opportunties, the ability to contribute in worship. That is what motivates me most.

The 3 chords are G, C & D. I just looked up free online guitar lessons and was pretty happy with my first. Maybe tomorrow I can find time to do free online lesson #2.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to be the first to comment on your blog :) It's awesome that you're learning to play the guitar -- I also found it much more difficult to learn to play than the viola. I finally gave up the idea that it would happen after hanging onto that guitar for 13 years! But you are much more motivated than I am! I'll be checking back to see how many more online lessons you've gotten to :)

    ReplyDelete